Cranberry Pecan Muffins
Fall is such an amazing time of year. The cool crisp sweatshirt weather is my favorite! I am kicking off the season with this fun, easy, and delicious recipe that I created. It screams Fall! It's so amazing I can't wait for you to try it and tag me on Facebook and Instagram with your results!
For the batter:
3 large eggs
3/4 c honey
1/4c brown sugar
3/4 c unsalted butter cubed and softened
(at room temp for an hour)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
1 c all-purpose flour
1 c almond flour
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 c fresh/frozen or rehydrated* cranberries
1/2 c pecan pieces
For the Pecan topping:
1/4 c unsalted butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 c pecan pieces
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin or use liners. I used a 6 cup muffin tin here to make large muffins
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat the eggs, honey, and brown sugar on medium speed 4-7 minutes. In a separate bowl combine the flour and the salt.
3. Add in the butter, vanilla, and optional almond extract. Beat an additional 2 minutes or until the butter is incorporated into a smooth consistency.
4. Using a spatula, fold in the dry mixture. Once mixed well add in cranberries and pecan pieces.
5. The batter will be thick, spread into the prepared pan.
6. To prepare the pecan topping: heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat, add the brown sugar and stir, lower heat and add the pecans and pinch of salt. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring until the butter and sugar mixture is shiny and smooth, and the nuts are well-coated with this mixture. Spread over uncooked batter.
7. Bake 30-40 minutes. Tent the muffins with foil for most of the cooking and remove the foil in the last 10 minutes (this is to keep the pecan topping from burning) A toothpick should come out clean when ready.
8. Cool for 15 minutes then run a knife around the edge of the pan to remove muffin. Makes 6 large dense muffins with 10g of Protein in each.
- if using a regular-sized muffin pan you may have to adjust the time ( maybe check the muffins around 20-25 minutes).
* To rehydrate cranberries put cranberries in a heatproof bowl and pour over hot water to cover, let stand 20 minutes., or put in a microwave-safe bowl cover with water heating on high 30-60 seconds. Drain water once hydrated.
If using rehydrated cranberries lower honey to 1/2c.